This past weekend I had to be at a NCAEE director's meeting in Rockingham, NC on Saturday, so Gary went with me and we did a session at the Columbia Temple on Friday afternoon and then used the GPS to lead us to the hotel in Rockingham. I was so surprised when the directions took us right through Camden and highway 1 straight through Bethune, South Carolina. My family moved to Bethune when I was barely 2 years old and we lived there until 1964. I was 11 years old when we moved to Asheville, so I only have a few memories of living in Bethune, but those memories are pretty vivid. It was afterall my earliest memories in life...memories of Christmases spent with all 3 of my brothers and mom and dad all together as one happy family, memories of family pets loved and lost, memories of hours spent playing in the woods, memories of riding my bicycle all over town picking up Pepsi bottles to turn them into the store for some spending change, memories of my mom as my Brownie scout leader in the old log cabin, memories of nights spent at Rebecca Davis' house playing kick-the-can out in the dark, memories of walking to school with my brother Doug, so many treasured memories! It was great to get to walk down memory lane once again. Gary drove me all around the tiny little town so that I could revisit both of the houses we had lived in, my elementary school, a park where they used to have an occasional carnival and I rode the rides, the Rescue Squad where my dad volunteered, and just up and down the tiny little streets where I once called home. Bethune was always just a tiny speck on the map but now is even less than that as it seems as though it is almost a ghost town. Still it was great to see it again and to relive some of my favorite childhood memories. I hope each of my brothers enjoy these photos.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
A Visit to my Childhood...Bethune, SC
This past weekend I had to be at a NCAEE director's meeting in Rockingham, NC on Saturday, so Gary went with me and we did a session at the Columbia Temple on Friday afternoon and then used the GPS to lead us to the hotel in Rockingham. I was so surprised when the directions took us right through Camden and highway 1 straight through Bethune, South Carolina. My family moved to Bethune when I was barely 2 years old and we lived there until 1964. I was 11 years old when we moved to Asheville, so I only have a few memories of living in Bethune, but those memories are pretty vivid. It was afterall my earliest memories in life...memories of Christmases spent with all 3 of my brothers and mom and dad all together as one happy family, memories of family pets loved and lost, memories of hours spent playing in the woods, memories of riding my bicycle all over town picking up Pepsi bottles to turn them into the store for some spending change, memories of my mom as my Brownie scout leader in the old log cabin, memories of nights spent at Rebecca Davis' house playing kick-the-can out in the dark, memories of walking to school with my brother Doug, so many treasured memories! It was great to get to walk down memory lane once again. Gary drove me all around the tiny little town so that I could revisit both of the houses we had lived in, my elementary school, a park where they used to have an occasional carnival and I rode the rides, the Rescue Squad where my dad volunteered, and just up and down the tiny little streets where I once called home. Bethune was always just a tiny speck on the map but now is even less than that as it seems as though it is almost a ghost town. Still it was great to see it again and to relive some of my favorite childhood memories. I hope each of my brothers enjoy these photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment